Re: EOT-Lite File Format

Thomas Lord wrote:

>> For implementations *only* supporting EOT-Lite, the font is not
>> loaded.  No exceptions.

> I think we have a problem there.  What you describe
> is a DRM-via-standards mechanism

Really? It seems to me that it is simply chucking something that it
considers an invalid file. A DRM-enabling mechanism is something that
restricts use of a font by a user agent. The font being invalid
according to the format specification doesn't seem to me to be
DRM-enabling. I mean, how is the described behaviour

    1. Check that MagicNumber is 0x504C.
    2. Check that the version number is either 0x00010000,
          0x00020001, or 0x00020002.
    3. Check that Flag bits TTEMBED_TTCOMPRESSED and
          TTEMBED_XORENCRYPTDATA are not set.

    If any of these checks fail, the font is not loaded.

exploitable as a protection?

I guess a font is really well protected if it won't display anywhere.:)

JH