RE: EOT-Lite File Format

Thursday, July 30, 2009 Thomas Lord <lord@emf.net>:

Thomas Lord wrote:

>That suggests a SHOULD requirement.  UAs SHOULD ignore
>non-nil root-strings but are not obligated to do so.
>Authors can't count on them being ignored on the one
>hand but UA makers are encouraged to ignore them
>entirely.

Tab Atkins replied:

>Nope, it has to be a MUST requirement - UAs MUST ignore non-nil
rootstrings.  IE <= 8 browsers will just be >nonconforming (which is fine,
since they were produced before this standard was produced), and authors can
take >advantage of that to hack something resembling same-origin into it if
they wish.

I see it the way Tab does. UAs MUST ignore non-nil rootstrings. EOT classic
will be dead as of >IE8. The new spec being Ex Post Facto. This seems in
line with what's been discussed all along.

Regards,

Rich