Re: EOT-Lite File Format

On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 6:11 PM, Thomas Lord<lord@emf.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-07-30 at 22:59 +0000, Sylvain Galineau wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 10:04 AM, Sylvain Galineau
>> <sylvaing@microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>>         2. We recommend using 0x00020000 for EOTL files as that
>>         version has no rootstrings nor EUDC. This means step #2 checks
>>         for that value
>>         only.
>

>> What do you mean "has no rootstrings"? You'd want IE (<=8) to process
>> rootstrings contained in EOTL, to make it easier for authors to comply
>> with font licensing.
>

> That suggests a SHOULD requirement.  UAs SHOULD ignore
> non-nil root-strings but are not obligated to do so.
> Authors can't count on them being ignored on the one
> hand but UA makers are encouraged to ignore them
> entirely.

Nope, it has to be a MUST requirement - UAs MUST ignore non-nil
rootstrings.  IE <= 8 browsers will just be nonconforming (which is
fine, since they were produced before this standard was produced), and
authors can take advantage of that to hack something resembling
same-origin into it if they wish.

~TJ