Re: The unmentionable

From: John Hudson <tiro@tiro.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 17:49:21 -0700
To: "www-font@w3.org" <www-font@w3.org>
Okay, last response on this thread...

Thomas Lord wrote:

> Cable TV reduced the value of the TV broadcast
> networks.  The net reduced the value of both.
> Similar stories in the journalism and news reporting
> industries.

> Fonts: unlikely to be all that different.

We already had our industry-killing moment twenty years ago. There is no
font industry. There is a sizeable community of mostly small and
independent designer-manufacturer-vendors (the people whom I care about
most), a tiny number of medium-size companies (most of which either went
through multiple receiverships during the desktop publishing revolution
or are the remnant results of those receiverships), and one large
company that makes almost all of its money from software not fonts.

We don't have a lot of blood left to give.

JH