RE: The unmentionable

From: Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 00:14:57 +0000
To: Thomas Lord <lord@emf.net>
CC: "www-font@w3.org" <www-font@w3.org>

I work closely with Ascender and couldn't relate your
specific argument to either their public or private concerns
as I understand them. Hence my keen interest in figuring out
what the heck was going on despite my obvious doubts that any
such concern was warranted or relevant.

>> Did someone request that the actual standard require same-origin/CORS
>> for the specific purpose of license enforcement ?
>

>Someone came very close and was happy to receive
>the caution I offered to them.

Glad to hear it !

>What you are trying to accomplish, on the other hand,
>is unclear.

I tried to understand why your specific concern was relevant
to a future WG, your alleged risk of FOs etc.

>He seemed to appreciate the feedback.

Sure. Bill is a swell guy ! But as Ascender indicated they would
not require same-origin checks and only hoped customers would put
some access restrictions in place, it's puzzling that we should
worry about the consequences of them actually expecting it...Anyway.

(see http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-font/2009JulSep/0727.html)

>Now you are restating something I said in the
>very message that started your long attack on
>me.

I know, I know. Disagreement, however
well-founded, constitutes some level of personal
'attack' on your person.

>I suggest that you go back and read this thread
>again from the point where I offered my caution to
>Ascender.

Good. I'm glad we've established there was nothing there. Again.