RE: The unmentionable

Precisely. You already know there are perfectly valid
reasons to do it that way. So why should we worry about
having to require this feature for the purpose of 'IP protection' ?
Why worry about future formal objections to a requirement
a working draft wouldn't even need to state in order to justify
the feature in the first place ?