Re: .screenfonts P.S.

From: karsten luecke <list@kltf.de>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 13:52:11 +0200 (MEST)
To: www-font@w3.org
I wrote about the ppem-specific fonts idea that

> As clever as I think this approach is, I disagree with the philosophy on which it is based.

and should clarify that ppem-specific fonts are fine as long as one is aware that it means serving a very specific type of devices (addressing a specific range of resolutions).

My main point is that one should not mix up the concepts 'size-specific' and 'ppem-specific', since this leads to consequences like using the 'size' feature to tell about a font's ideal ppem size -- the 'size' feature defines point sizes not pixel sizes.

I agree with Gustavo that ideally the divide should not be between TTF vs CFF fonts.

Karsten