Re: The unmentionable

Dirk Pranke wrote:

> Apart from the first paragraph, I am curious what you believe "what
> kinds of protections [the browser makers] would be willing to accept"
> to be.

The kind that the current draft versions of .webfont and ZOT provide.
There's been enough positive engagement with .webfont from John D and
Håkon to make it reasonable to conclude willingness to accept the
minimal protection in that format, and the ZOT proposal came from within
Mozilla.

I know that John and Håkon are not the only non-IE browser makers
subscribed to this list, but they are the only ones very actively
involved in the conversation -- not just here, but also on the Typophile
forums --, so I apologise if I am assuming too much if I use their
positive response to gauge general acceptability of these proposed
formats including their minimal protections.

JH

PS. I should add that your message earlier this month
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-font/2009JulSep/0412.html
was a significant contribution to the discussion. Thanks for that.