Re: Merits and deficiencies of EOT Lite (was: Combining ZOT with .webfont metadata)

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 11:09 AM, Thomas Phinney
<tphinney@cal.berkeley.edu>wrote:

> 1) Existing IE versions don't support EOT files with OpenType CFF
> contents (though the EOT format is agnostic as to CFF vs TT contents).

It's not just an IE problem. Uniscribe at least up to Vista doesn't work
with dynamically loaded CFF fonts. (John Daggett will correct me if I'm
wrong.) We might be able to work around this in some future Firefox version
by shipping our own shaping engine.

2) Windows default system rendering of OpenType CFF (and Type 1) fonts
> is kinda stinky. Adobe worked long and hard with Microsoft to get
> better rendering of OpenType CFF (even with ClearType support!) into
> the WPF rasterizer, but AFAIK no browser is using that rasterizer.

That's because only .NET applications can use it.

Rob
53:5-6]