Re: Combining ZOT with .webfont metadata

From: John Hudson <tiro@tiro.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2009 15:15:47 -0700
To: Tal Leming <tal@typesupply.com>
CC: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>, www-font <www-font@w3.org>
>> So, I suggest that one (a) separates the semantics from the syntax in
>> .webfont, and (b) come up with a proposal on how the semantics can be
>> encoded within TT/OT. The resulting files can easily be encoded in
>> ZOT. As such, this combines the best of both proposals.

> This is an interesting idea. We're going to give it some serious
> consideration.

My caveats in regard to (b) are 1) that if one wants data that would be
required for a web font to be included within the font data this implies
engagement with the OT and OFF standard procedures in parallel with W3C
procedures, and 2) this seems to defeat the goal of being able to wrap
other kinds of font data.

JH