Re: Combining ZOT with .webfont metadata

From: John Hudson <tiro@tiro.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2009 18:44:19 -0700
CC: www-font <www-font@w3.org>
Håkon wrote:

> Three of the elements do not have equivalents in TT/OT: creationdate,
> licenseename, and privatedata. The .webfont proposal say that the
> creation date should act as a version identifier for the font. I think
> it's a poor version identifier. For example, if the time zone is off,
> is it still the same version? And, are fonts really created within one
> minute? Doesn't it take years and years of efforts?

POI:

There is indeed a longdatetime creation date stamp in the OT/TT head
table, and also a modification date.

I understood the creation date in the .webfont proposal to refer to the
creation date of the .webfont, not the creation date of the font data.

I agree that creation date is not a good version identifier, because of
the time zone issue.

JH