Re: A way forward

From: Tal Leming <tal@typesupply.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2009 09:51:31 -0400
Cc: www-font <www-font@w3.org>
To: robert@ocallahan.org

On Jul 24, 2009, at 6:14 PM, Robert O'Callahan wrote:

> a) works for font formats that aren't extensible with arbitrary
> metadata --- but we don't care about any such existing formats, and
> the chances of a new font format becoming popular that isn't
> extensible are zero

and

> b) works in a uniform way over font formats (or even non-font
> formats) that are extensible in different ways --- seems to be of
> minimal value since we don't care about any such formats today, and
> as far as I know no-one forsees the need for a new non-SFNT format;
> YAGNI applies

I wish this was true, but it isn't. The OpenType format has very real
limitations that cannot be fixed. From what I understand, there is
already work going on to develop a new format for component fonts.
When a new format comes along, we'll all be back here again debating
this same thing. I don't think any of us want to do that. :-)

We have two good proposals in ZOT and .webfont, each with their own
strengths and weaknesses. I think we could address these and come up
with a very good solution in a working group.

Tal