RE: A way forward

From: Levantovsky, Vladimir <Vladimir.Levantovsky@MonotypeImaging.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 18:32:29 -0400
To: "Sylvain Galineau" <sylvaing@microsoft.com>, "Thomas Lord" <lord@emf.net>
Cc: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>, "John Hudson" <tiro@tiro.com>, "www-font" <www-font@w3.org>
On Friday, July 24, 2009 5:59 PM Sylvain Galineau wrote:

> But however wrong Hakon's latest shtick may be, it does not follow EOT-
> Lite can work in practice.
> If, as John pointed out, the font vendors' EULAs do require same-origin
> checks then IE can't comply.
> Which throws all potential interop benefits out of the window. Now
> *this* is an argument against EOT-Lite
> I can live with. Provided, of course, we have the evidence to call it.

A simple workaround can fix this - a non-empty root string in EOT-Lite can be ignored by all other browsers but will compensate for the lack of support for same origin restriction in legacy IE implementations. I know this may be unpopular solution, but it is an easy fix so that both browser supporting same-origin restriction and legacy IE implementation will behave the same way.

Regards,
Vlad