Re: A way forward

From: John Hudson <tiro@tiro.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 10:24:19 -0700
To: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
CC: www-font <www-font@w3.org>
Håkon Wium Lie wrote:

>  > Both Sylvain Galineau and John Daggett have now indicated that they
>  > might be willing to participate in a process to standardise something
>  > like .webfont or ZOT.

> I think ZOT is a very good idea. If browsers added support for ZOT,
> would you publish fonts in it?

I'm still familiarising myself with ZOT -- as I wrote earlier, it isn't
a proposal that has been well presented to the professional font
community; most of my colleagues are completely ignorant of it --, but
my initial response is positive.

However, I agree with Tal that a generic wrapper that could be placed
around other font data formats, including non-sfnt fonts, is worth
having, rather than tying web fonts to a specific font data format (even
if, for the time being, no other format is under consideration).
However, there is no reason why the .webfont wrapper could not be put
around a ZOT'd font, so both proposals could be part of an interoperable
solution. This is something that a working group could determine.

John Hudson