RE: Webfont compression

>I don't think any new web font format should be saddled with legacy
>issues from the EOT format and Microsoft's implementation of it.  We
>should be striving for a simple way that all browsers can support
>@font-face interoperably, not a way to make web fonts work in IE6.

John,

I'm speaking now as a FireFox user. (Absolutely love FF 3.5 - but I'd wish the add-on folks would hurry up with upgrades.)
What, exactly, does Mozilla or just you, if you wish to answer simply for yourself, consider its obligations to me? I know I don't pay for the product, so I'm not a customer, per se. But I rely on it. I order my professional life around it to some extent, to be sure. I am a part of your community.
To clarify, does your statement mean that you would rather see me struggle, and get shortchanged because of the current interoperability issues for years and years to come, rather than compromise and leverage FireFox's growing share of market to put some screws to MSFT and get the best out of them, too? (And you would have my unbounded support in that effort, I assure you.)
It feels like you're walking away when you could do a whole lot of people a whole lot of good, and for no really good, logical, reason that I can see. (I echo Tab Atkins and Karsten Luecke's sentiments on this point.)
You and your colleagues are in a strong position, engage, please.

With good cheer and hopefulness,

rich