Re: Webfont compression

John Daggett wrote:

> I don't think any new web font format should be saddled with legacy
> issues from the EOT format and Microsoft's implementation of it.  We
> should be striving for a simple way that all browsers can support
> @font-face interoperably, not a way to make web fonts work in IE6.

Given that neither Microsoft nor the majority of typeface designers and
font vendors have any interest at all in naked font linking, can I take
your comments to mean that we should all be looking at .webfont? It
certainly has traction with the font community -- not least because it
is an initiative from type designers -- and I sense from the feedback
here to Erik and Tal's proposals that there is genuine interest from
Mozilla, the W3C and others. If there were also interest or even a
commitment from Microsoft, this would appear the clearest path to an
interoperable format, one without legacy issues and one that doesn't
give any browser a significant advantage over any other, while at the
same time avoiding the impasse over naked font linking.

John Hudson