Re: Webfont compression

From: Aryeh Gregor <Simetrical+w3c@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 00:09:26 +0000
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Cc: John Hudson <tiro@tiro.com>, www-font@w3.org
On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 10:20 PM, Tab Atkins Jr.<jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
> As for actual use, it's used everywhere.  Any intelligent server owner
> has it turned on if they value their bandwidth, not least because it's
> just so damned *easy* to do.

It's usually configured only for certain file types, though, to avoid
wasting CPU cycles and to avoid bugs in old browsers.  Ubuntu's Apache
seems to be configured to only deflate text/html, text/xml, and
text/plain by default, for instance.

However, yeah, it's generally one line in a configuration file.  It's
rule 4 in Souders' High Performance Web Sites.  Not everyone bothers
enabling it, however, so I guess that's a minus compared to mandatory
in-font compression.  Maybe someone should go poke web server
authors/distributors to make compression default for more file types .
. .