Problems with style-linked EOTs

From: Laurence Penney <lorp@lorp.org>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 15:55:05 +0100
To: John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com>, www-font <www-font@w3.org>
On 21 Jul 2009, at 20:58, John Daggett wrote:
> Nor does any shipping version of IE support
> simple @font-face rule font descriptors such as font-weight or
> font-style, so using bold and italic faces in IE is awkward.

Could you elaborate on the problems IE has with bold and italic styles?

In my tests with font-style and font-weight[1] I get odd results with
style-linked EOTs. It would have been nice if one could arbitrarily
assign any font to be the bold version of a given font (allowing Light
and Medium weights to be deployed as a family without remastering
fonts), but that seems not to work. Much worse, sometimes the space
character seems to double in width in the bold and bold-italic. I've
had states where this alternates between reloads of the page: good
space, reload, bad space, reload, good space...

If EOT on IE is typographically flaky with simple <b> and <i> markup,
is there any point continuing with it?

- L

[1] for example at http://www.lorp.org/webfont/