RE: I expect all foundries to start offering web font licenses within 6 months.

Correction and clarification: Hakon is right, WEFT itself does still require this input. But EOT in general does not require fonts to be
subsetted. While this certainly seems an unnecessary limitation today, I don't think it was in the past and have yet to see any feedback
data demonstrating that this was the main issue.

Note that since the format has been documented, others have been writing tools to convert TTFs to EOT. See
http://edward.oconnor.cx/2009/07/how-to-create-eot-files-without-microsoft-weft for instance.

(Not endorsing this tool, just noting its existence).