Re: I expect all foundries to start offering web font licenses within 6 months.

From: Dave Crossland <dave@lab6.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2009 00:52:23 +0100
To: Thomas Phinney <tphinney@cal.berkeley.edu>
Cc: www-font <www-font@w3.org>
2009/7/17 Thomas Phinney <tphinney@cal.berkeley.edu>:
> On further consideration, I just wanted to say that "I expect all
> foundries to start offering web font licenses within six months" may
> not be so crazy.

Well, as I admit, I am hyping things a little. But things do seem to
happen fast on the web when standards bodies aren't involved ;-)

> It depends on what you mean by "web font licenses."
> If you mean "offer licenses that allow folks to link to naked TTF/OTF
> fonts on web servers" (which is how I interpreted the original post)
> then yeah, that's not happening any time soon.
> some of the solutions ... are built on top of the
> "raw font" approach (as well as on top of EOT), but the solution
> vendors such as TypeKit are building in *lots* of other protections to
> make font vendors happy.

But those protections are not DRM, and despite the server-side
restrictions, the solutions are indeed supporting raw TTF fonts.

Which makes all the cusses from various type designers against Wium
Lie and Daggett and Hyatt for rushing ahead immorally with support for
that format kind of funny, to me.

Cheers,
Dave