Re: .webfont Proposal 2

Tal Leming wrote:

> > To achieve interoperability you need to have more than simply
> > "Optional" next to data elements like the "allow" element.  Either
> > it is informative, provided for displaying information about the
> > font resource, or has a defined behavior which is consistent across
> > user agents.
>
> What those statements mean is that they are optional in the file. For
> example, some fonts may not have a licenseurl element and others may
> not. We didn't want to get too far ahead of ourselves and start
> specifying what the user agents would do with each element. We can
> work that out if it would be helpful.

Without defining user agent behavior, it's hard to evaluate this format.
I'm hopeful that things like the contents of the <allow> element are
intended to be informative, data to be provided when displaying
information about the font resource, and that the consensus among font
vendors is based on this understanding.

John Daggett
Mozilla Japan