Re: I expect all foundries to start offering web font licenses within 6 months.

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 17:53:25 -0500
To: Dave Crossland <dave@lab6.com>
Cc: www-font <www-font@w3.org>
On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 5:43 PM, Dave Crossland<dave@lab6.com> wrote:
> 2009/7/15 Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>:
>> On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 5:19 PM, Dave Crossland<dave@lab6.com> wrote:
>>> 2. Today I see http://www.typotheque.com/webfonts/multilingual_sample
>>
>> Augh FF3.5 renders the body-text Fedra Sans Bold *horribly*.  It hurts
>> my eyes to look at it!  WinSafari does the same.  Is that the fault of
>> the font, or simply bad text rendering engines?
>
> http://www.typotheque.com/images/news/multilingual_sample.png looks
> like abattis.org/dump/typotheque.png to me (Ubuntu Gutsy, FF3.5, all
> defaults) and it looks lovely to me.

False alarm: I'd forgotten that I never turned ClearType on after I
formatted this laptop.  FF and Webkit people, you're doing fine.  ^_^

That's something I'm going to have to keep in mind when selecting body
fonts, though...  I suspect it's not a huge deal as Vista has it
turned on by default, but there are still plenty of people running XP
(like me) that it's something to think about for a while.

~TJ