Re: I expect all foundries to start offering web font licenses within 6 months.

From: karsten luecke <list@kltf.de>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 20:39:08 +0200 (MEST)
To: www-font@w3.org
Dave Crossland wrote:
> you can expect to be able to license TTF/OTF and
> EOT versions of many high-quality commercial fonts
> very, very soon

I reserve the right to have gotten Ascender's message wrong, but in my current reading of http://www.ascendercorp.com/pr/2009-07-15/, the point of this announcement is that they license EOT (LITE) fonts for web use. There is no single word that they license raw TTF/OTF fonts for web use.

While it may be true that foundries might start offering web font licenses soon, the format question is a different issue. The thing that I am pretty certain about is that this format will not be raw TTF/OTF fonts.

Best wishes,
Karsten