Re: .webfont Proposal

From: John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2009 13:58:49 -0700 (PDT)
To: www-font <www-font@w3.org>
> My objection in part to using the license record of the name table of
> particular font formats is that it implies a design principle wherein
> for every single damn media file format of any kind, we need to add
> new rules for the equivalent of interpreting a "license record of the
> name table".
> A generic solution - a container format - a wrapper format - can nail
> the issue once and for all across all media types.

A generic solution would be fine but what you propose doesn't exist and
would take a much longer time to agree upon and implement.  I'm not
really talking about "interpreting" anything, I'm only considering a
common format for information that is passed through.  Fonts just happen
to already have a convenient place to put this information, which is not
necessarily true for other media types.

The problems of HTML5 video is a whole separate can of worms, the main
issues there are *not* the same, the issues of conflict center around
patent and royalty issues.  Licensing concerns are also an issue but
it's not the primary cause of the conflict.