Re: Font license vs. conversion between font formats

Erik van Blokland wrote:
> On 9 jul 2009, at 12:00, Mikko Rantalainen wrote:
>
>> You're right that there's no absolute security (any key can be guessed).
>> There is, however, a HUGE difference between between guessing zero bit
>> key (a font format) and say 256 bit key (typical SSL setup).
>
> I can repeat the same arguments. This is not a discussion about
> absolutes, but about managing casual abuse. Can you acknowledge that
> part of the discussion, or is that somehow impossible?

I fully understand that you're seeking for "managing casual abuse"
instead of full security.

However, I'm trying to say that you can put simple roadblocks but unless
you've real security, you should not be surprised to find that those
roadblocks have been circumvented in no time. After that those
roadblocks are obstacles only for honest authors, users and browser
vendors. They do not prevent even casual copying (because copying tools
will be advanced enough).

I'm arguing that because such roadblocks can (and I assume will) be
circumvented, no extra effort should be done to implement those in first
place.

The copyright law is the only thing that can really protect fonts. And
that law is fully effective without technological measurements in font
files!

--
Mikko