Re: Font license vs. conversion between font formats

From: Tal Leming <tal@typesupply.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2009 10:47:05 -0400
Cc: www-font <www-font@w3.org>
To: Mikko Rantalainen <mikko.rantalainen@peda.net>

On Jul 8, 2009, at 6:50 AM, Mikko Rantalainen wrote:

> The fact that this "font filesharing host" distributes font data in
> other format or in TTF/OTF format does not make any real difference.
> Pretty much all pirated content is already wrapped inside ZIP archives
> as far as I know. The fact that pirated content is usable only after
> running a simple tool (unzip) does not seem to prevent people from
> using
> that pirated content. Why do you think that replacing that tool
> (unzip)
> with other tool (unwrap-the-other-font-format) would make it any
> harder
> to pirate fonts?

I don't think it is a good idea to outright reject the idea of a
different format because a party with malicious intent might do
something to break it. If we did that with everything, there would be
no rules or laws for anything.

> I'm afraid that all font foundries cannot accept any terms that can be
> implemented by GPL licensed software (Firefox, Safari, Chrome) because
> they want some kind of DRM system.

No one has requested a DRM system. We're talking about an open
standard here.

Tal