Re: Fonts WG Charter feedback

From: Thomas Phinney <tphinney@cal.berkeley.edu>
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2009 16:48:37 -0700
To: John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com>
Cc: John Hudson <tiro@tiro.com>, www-font <www-font@w3.org>
On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 4:32 PM, John Daggett<jdaggett@mozilla.com> wrote:
> Clever folks will always figure out ways to bypass these fences, the
> same is true today through torrents or by pulling font data out of Flash
> files.

With the older Flash font formats, the font data has been munged to
the point where original high-quality desktop fonts are no longer at
all reconstructible from the Flash file. Less true for the newest,
though.

> To be frank, I have trouble understanding what precisely your concerns
> are.  Are you concerned that simply allowing linkage of raw or
> obfuscated fonts will lead to increased illegal use of existing fonts
> not licensed for web use, to the detriment of existing sales?  Or that
> fonts licensed for web use can easily be used on the desktop?  Or on
> other sites?  Or just frustration at seeing others somehow benefit from
> your creations?

I can't speak for Christopher or Adobe, but for font vendors in
general, all of those things are concerns. Sometimes all of those
things are a concern even for a single vendor.  :/

Cheers,