Re: Fonts WG Charter feedback

From: Thomas Lord <lord@emf.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2009 15:26:58 -0700
To: John Hudson <tiro@tiro.com>
Cc: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>, Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com>, Christopher Fynn <cfynn@gmx.net>, "www-font@w3.org" <www-font@w3.org>, Thomas Phinney <tphinney@cal.berkeley.edu>
A quick follow up to the Håkon/JohnH. exchange
before I attend to Mr. Hudson's thoughtful letter
to me....

Håkon, you object to new font formats that add
more "licensing information".   I think that you
mean formats that define certain new meta-data as
licensing information per se.

Do you object to new formats for font files that
add new meta-data for end-user consumption, where
that new meta-data format specification is agnostic
as to whether or not licensing data is included?

For example, if formats were extended so that
generic user-facing meta-data could be in HTML5
and used for any purpose, have you an objection
to that?

-t