Re: Fonts WG Charter feedback

From: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2009 19:39:44 +0200
To: John Hudson <tiro@tiro.com>
Cc: (wrong string) åkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>, Thomas Lord <lord@emf.net>, Thomas Phinney <tphinney@cal.berkeley.edu>
Also sprach John Hudson:

 > > Several browser vendors object to enforcing rules embedded in a
 > > resource; whether rootstrings or embedding bits, this is
 > > Something that has been discussed and rejected a number of times
 > > afaik.
 >
 > The objection, as I understand it, is to a web fonts standard that
 > *obliges* browsers to enforced embedded rules or permissions. The
 > browser makers can have no objection to the presence of such data in a
 > font

Personally, I'm not comfortable with formats that add more licensing
information, even if the corresponding standard says it can be
ignored. It seems quite easy to construct a case where the browser, by
ignoring digital rights in the files, breaks DMCA-like laws and is
therefore a "circumvention device". I'm not convinced that the
standard would trump the law in court.

Cheers,

-h&kon