Re: The other party in all this

On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 9:55 AM, Erik van Blokland<erik@letterror.com> wrote:

> On Jul 6, 2009, at 3:35 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
>
>> Welcome to the digital economy.  ^_^  Ultimately, you're always going
>> to be trying to sell copies of something that can be reproduced for
>> free by anyone.
>
> Fonts have been part of the digital economy for more than 25 years.

To be fair: not in the way that we're planning to make them.  Before
the internet arrived, software copyright infringement still existed,
but it was of the "hey man, gimme that CD you just bought" variety.
It was low-key, pedestrian.  The same with fonts.  You might ask a
designer you know to give you some font he used in a design, but
that's about it.

Once font linking really takes off, though, we move much more firmly
into the digital economy, where sharing between strangers is the norm.
 It's an unintended effect, but it's still there.

~TJ