Re: The other party in all this

From: John Hudson <tiro@tiro.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2009 00:35:21 -0700
To: Dave Crossland <dave@lab6.com>
CC: www-font@w3.org
Dave Crossland wrote:

> Nothing will stop graphic designers and everyone else who loves fonts
> and who do not respect font licenses - which is most people, from what
> I can tell - from not installing inevitable “web font vacuum” browser
> extensions that will automatically install every font they happen to
> browse across into the OS system folder, and using these fonts in
> their print design work.

Well, it might stop them if I went round and broke their fingers, but
short of that you are probably right. You paint a depressing picture,
Dave, but I suppose I should thank you for presenting the reality facing
us. Web fonts = giving away fonts for free. The business model for font
vendors = some people will be honest and pay for the fonts that everyone
else is getting for free. There is no business model for custom fonts on
the web: the clients are supposed to invest hundreds of thousands of
dollars and then turn around and give away the asset.

Perhaps I should go sign up for that wooden boat building course now.

JH