Re: The other party in all this

Thomas Phinney wrote:

> Although this is fine as far as it goes, it does NOT "prevent
> tampering." Remember, the font is not encrypted, just signed. Somebody
> deletes the signature and the custom data, and it's untraceable which
> customer the font came from.

Independent of the web font format per se, I wonder what options might
exist to strengthen this aspect of OT in future. The dsig mechanism was
designed, as David Berlow memorably put it, to protect the user from the
font not the font from the user, i.e. it was intended as a means of
assuring e.g. network administrators of the origin and untampered-with
status of a font file. There seems to me room for a different signing
model that would be less easy to bypass.

John Hudson