Re: Fonts WG Charter feedback

From: Thomas Lord <lord@emf.net>
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 2009 13:41:10 -0700
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Cc: Chris Wilson <Chris.Wilson@microsoft.com>, Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>, Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com>, "www-font@w3.org" <www-font@w3.org>
On Thu, 2009-07-02 at 15:23 -0500, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:

> In all the discussion, I can't recall this specific question being
> asked, so I'll ask it: What exactly is the problem with supporting
> TTF/OTF *and* another format?

A "problem" in the minds of some may be
that if TTF and OTF are required then new
commercial and non-commercial markets would
likely follow for web fonts that work with
all popular applications, yet which are not
restrictively licensed.

In other words, demand would rise for fonts
with fewer restrictions and supply would
follow, diminishing the pricing power of
vendors of restricted-license fonts.

-t