Re: the discussion is over, resistance time

On Jul 1, 2009, at 10:45 PM, Thomas Lord wrote:

> Fine, then they can simply not license their fonts for
> web use.  The rest of us will get by, just fine.  Ask
> Zapf.

Wow.

I think contentious comments like this and others show that people are
losing sight of the goal. We're all here to find a way to make fonts
work on the web in a way that satisfies the needs, not necessarily the
wants, of all parties. If that turns out to be one format that is
supported by all browsers and is easy for users to use, would that be
the worst possible outcome?

Please note that I, a type designer, am not endorsing a single format,
two formats or anything at this point. This is an extremely complex
and nuanced issue for those of us who make fonts. Polarizing
statements are not helping us type designers feel any more comfortable
with the risk we are being asked to take.

Tal