Re: Fonts WG Charter feedback

I would like to point out that Chris (and by extension Microsoft) has
always taken the stance that MS will under no circumstances support TT/
OT linking in IE.  This has been the definitive case at least since
2007 when I posed the question "Will you do it?" to him at the CSS WG
face to face in Boston (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ishida/
2047808967/).

It is obvious that Microsoft will not budge on this vital issue, so we
are at the same impasse we have been at for over 10 years.

It is also obvious that, at the very best, the Fonts work group was
not created to find the best solution for the Web community, but to
find a solution that will appease Microsoft. At that same meeting in
Boston in 2007, Microsoft proposed this group (or one like it) when
they realized that they were not getting anywhere with the CSS WG. At
that meeting, many questioned whether the CSS WG  should be in the
business of endorsing formats, especially EOT, which Microsoft had
only just made public. Interesting coincidence: Webkit had just
started supporting OT/TT at about the same time EOT became public.

However, it is likely that events will soon overtake this group,
rendering it moot. If Jeffery Veens Typekit works anything like it is
reported to, then I have little doubt that this solution will be
embraced. I do not like having to rely on third party functionality
for something that should be an easy to implement standard, but the
Web design community is tired of waiting.

Delaying things with another Work Group isn't going to help, and, in
my opinion, just muddies already opaque waters.

Jason Cranford Teague
Internet Design & Strategy
Twitter
@jasonspeaking