Re: Fonts WG Charter feedback

Levantovsky, Vladimir wrote:
> I share both of your views on this. I think that compression is going to
> be the most valuable component of the new web font format, providing
> benefits for both authors and users.

If compression is considered important, then the server administrator
can just enable HTTP Content Encoding with gzip and/or deflate. If
deflate and gzip methods (that are commonly implemented by user agents)
are not good enough for fonts, then I suggest asking user agent and
server software vendors to implement additional methods. Nothing
prevents implementing e.g. lzma or bzip2 methods for transfer encoding.
As such methods have high compression ratios, have publicly available
implementations and are suitable for other files but fonts, restricting
such new compression method to be used with just fonts would be insane.

--
Mikko