RE: Fonts WG Charter feedback

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2009 21:18:48 +0000 (UTC)
To: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
Cc: Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com>, "www-font@w3.org" <www-font@w3.org>
On Wed, 1 Jul 2009, Håkon Wium Lie wrote:
> Also sprach Sylvain Galineau:
>
>  > > - the new font encoding is just that: a thin
>  > >   wrapper/obfuscation/compression layer on top of the current TT/OT
>  > >   format; there should be no new data for browsers to deal with
>
>  > So you're comfortable with Ascender's proposal(s) ?
>
> Given commitment from MS to do TT/OT, I can live with this proposal:
>
>   http://blog.fontembedding.com/post/2009/06/10/New-Web-Fonts-Proposal.aspx

Wouldn't operating systems just build support in for these fonts, making
the entire exercise pointless? I mean, I assume FreeType would support
these fonts natively almost immediately, and I see no reason to suspect
that Apple wouldn't add support for this new format to Mac OS X too, since
it would aid developers significantly if they could see these fonts in
other applications once they've acquired them.