RE: hope for a way forward

My apologies to all on this list for a possible confusion - I thought I
was making a clarification for a "wrapped(compressed(X))" proposal and
didn't realize that I was replying to a different thread.

Anyway, I want to say once again that:
- I believe that compression does provide a significant tangible
benefit, and an efficient compression that is also free to use is a very
desirable tool.
- I do like what Thomas has proposed. I see a lot of value in having a
generic wrapper format with compressed payload, and with everything else
being equal (i.e. if browser vendors do not have a strong preference for
implementing one or another) I would give my vote to
"wrapped(compressed(X))"

Cheers,
Vladimir