RE: Fonts WG Charter feedback

From: Thomas Lord <lord@emf.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 16:52:15 -0700
To: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
Cc: Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com>, "www-font@w3.org" <www-font@w3.org>
On Wed, 2009-07-01 at 01:25 +0200, Håkon Wium Lie wrote:
> Also sprach Sylvain Galineau:
>

> The only thing I ask for from MS is that you also commit to support
> TT/OT linking in IE, like you do in other products. This will require
> an hour or so of your time.
>
> Will you do it?

It sometimes appears that Håkon and I have
deep differences so I want to say that I
second him in that question.  It's a question
of Microsoft's sense of social responsibility
towards the standards process.

I will pimp for my own version of compromise:

I think MSFT should say, essentially, "darn
straight we will do that but only if you agree
that if a conforming browser accepts font
format X (where X is in this case TT and OT)
then it must also accept "wrapped(X)" wherein
we can convey licensing information along with
the font in a generic, open-ended, human-friendly
way that is also suitable for other appropriate
meta-data.

If everyone settles on my compromise then there
is a little work to do but the legitimate concerns
of the vendors of restricted-license fonts are
satisfied AND the web is improved in a significant
way with a bright future that leads to further
improvements.

Thank you for your consideration.

Regards,
-t