RE: requirements for a web font container format?

From: Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 16:48:01 +0000
To: Dirk Pranke <dpranke@chromium.org>, "www-font@w3.org" <www-font@w3.org>
> From: www-font-request@w3.org [mailto:www-font-request@w3.org] On
> Behalf Of Dirk Pranke
> Hi all,
> That way we could perhaps divorce the discussion from the existing
> baggage around previous implementation proposals. If no such document
> exists, I'd
> volunteer to write one (I'd also be open to suggestions on where such
> a document should live).

Dirk, some of us believe there should be neither a requirement document nor a container format, even if the solution is brand-new (no 'unfair advantage' baggage) open and likely more beneficial for author choice and cross-browser interoperability than our current situation. That's been stated quite clearly. Hence the circular discussion. This is unnecessarily (albeit probably intentionally) discouraging but ultimately you're right: those of us who would like one - and those who aren't against it - need to move on and get to work. I gather that Ascender's first proposal [1] was a decent starting point.

[1] http://blog.fontembedding.com/post/2009/06/10/New-Web-Fonts-Proposal.aspx