RE: gzip vs. mtx compression ratios

From: Levantovsky, Vladimir <Vladimir.Levantovsky@MonotypeImaging.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 09:56:44 -0400
To: "John Daggett" <jdaggett@mozilla.com>, "Joseph Felps" <jfelps@gmail.com>
Cc: <www-font@w3.org>
On Tuesday, June 30, 2009 5:03 AM John Daggett wrote:

> As suggested by several folks, tried LZMA.  Great stuff!
>
> For basic webfonts like Arial, Georgia, etc. MTX compression is 8-14%
> better than LZMA but for Cleartype fonts LZMA is dramatically better
> than MTX, the MTX compressed version is larger by 30-40% for some of
> these fonts.  Likewise, CJK fonts for the most part seem to compress
> better:
>
>   MS Gothic (Japanese)
>   raw:  8,272,028
>   gzip:	4,441,566
>   eot:  4,276,642
>   lzma: 2,958,214  (36% of original!)

This is really impressive result, which means that there could be a significant room for MTX improvement if there is any interest. I am sure the MTX pre-processing and post-processing steps combined with LZMA compressor (instead of currently used LZCOMP) would produce even better results for fonts.

Vladimir