RE: Fonts WG Charter feedback

From: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 09:09:53 +0200
To: Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com>
Cc: "www-font@w3.org" <www-font@w3.org>
Also sprach Sylvain Galineau:

 > > > I would think that shipping implementations that do not
 > > > interoperate with 3/4 of the browsers out there is disruptive as
 > > > well
 > >
 > >If Microsoft wanted other browsers to interoperate, why did you keep
 > >your format secret for a decade? Why didn't you consult with others
 > >along the way? Why did you add root strings to the format -- you must
 > >have understood that this would be contentious?

 > The format has been publicly documented.

When I started arguing for a web fonts revival in 2006 [1], EOT was not
documented. It's fairly rich for Microsoft to critizise other vendors
for adding support for TT/OT when you kept your own format secret and
patent-encumbered.

[1] http://news.cnet.com/Microsofts-forgotten-monopoly/2010-1032_3-6085417.html

-h&kon