RE: Fonts WG Charter feedback

From: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 03:03:10 +0200
To: Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com>
Cc: (wrong string) åkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>, "Levantovsky, Vladimir" <Vladimir.Levantovsky@MonotypeImaging.com>, "www-font@w3.org" <www-font@w3.org>
Also sprach Sylvain Galineau:

 > So we should forgo the standard process because it takes too long
 > and let browser vendors settle the outcome through market forces?

No. (at this point, I could become personally offended for you trying
to put words in my mouth, but I won't :-)

The specifications we need have already been written. CSS2 from 1998
describes the syntax, and it also describes how to link to
TrueType/OpenType (as well as other font formats). And you know where
to find the OpenType specification:

  http://www.microsoft.com/typography/otspec/

 > Lastly, we're not trying to specify anything as complex as SVG, or
 > even PNG

Was PNG that hard?

-h&kon