Re: ascender, descender, cap-height and x-height

David Lemon wrote:

> Erik van der Poel wrote:
> >
> > I don't know much about the history of Windows's APIs,...
>
> I'm afraid I know less. I'm a typographer, not an engineer, and I've
> absorbed only so much by hanging out with them.

That's a pity. Since you started talking about Microsoft being in a
"bind" and em vs bounding boxes, it immediately reminded me of Windows's
rather peculiar negative lfHeight thing. I mean, who would normally
specify a negative number for a height?

I was sorta hoping that somebody here could explain the history of that
API. Anybody from Microsoft know the answer?

Thanks,

Erik