RE: What's an em

"first-avail" means nobody knows which ratio, or which size, one
finally gets.  Naaa.

> > 'font-size ex-height <the size asked for>' is
> > straight-forward and easy to teach and understand.
>
> As Clive pointed out, the line-height should not be based on the
> ex-height. So now you would need to carefully explain the line-height
> issues, so that people don't think that line-height is a factor of
> ex-height.

I've never ever suggested that it would be a good idea to say
"line-height 2ex" (though possible, even now).  One should recommend
that one uses "line-height 1line" or "line-height 1.2line" or similar,
where the unit "line" is the Åp-height(!!!) of the current font.
I know, that overloads the notion of "a line" a bit, but people
seem to be able to understand expressions like "one and a half
line spacing" and "double line spacing".

		Kind regards
		/kent k