Re: What's an em

Karlsson Kent - keka wrote:

> I don't think 'font-size-adjust' is a good way of doing this,
> though, since that relies on the author to give an aspect value,

I already made a suggestion to rectify that:

  BODY { font-family: Verdana; font-size-adjust: first-avail; }

This would normally be in the user's style sheet. It sets the
font-size-adjust to Verdana's ex/em ratio. The name "first-avail" refers
to the first available font in the font-family list. The above example
only has one font in the list.

> and in addition 'font-size-adjust' does not apply to explicit
> typeface changes.

Again, I already made the suggestion to have font-size-adjust apply to
*any* font, whether substituted or not.

(In the above example, applying Verdana's ratio to itself is a no-op:
font-size x (0.58/0.58) = font-size. But that is not the interesting
bit, of course. It gets interesting when the author, user or UA specify
a different font in a child element.)

Erik