Re: What's an em

At 12:56 AM +0100 2/2/00, Just van Rossum wrote:
>At 3:24 PM -0800 01-02-2000, Erik van der Poel wrote:
>  >If so, the "Pointsize" isn't the only thing that means anything. CSS2
>  >claims that the ex/em ratio is important.
>
>I'm not saying it's important, I'm saying you can't reliably *get* at that
>ratio, and that renders the whole discussion rather meaningless.

If the requirement were for the level of precision and optical
refinement appropriate to hand-set materials (or even better DTP), I
would agree. But as I see it, font-size-adjust is merely a safety net
- a very loosely woven one - to help mitigate some of the worst
effects of font substitution, especially on screen. I think the
exhibits in CSS-2 speak for themselves.

--
Todd Fahrner