Font-adjust: a CSS enhancement proposal

From: Todd Fahrner <fahrner@pobox.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 1997 19:03:35 -0800
To: www-font@w3.org
I proposed this to the www-style group Friday. Because it concerns fonts, I think it might interest this group, as well. I welcome any comment:

http://www.verso.com/agitprop/fontadjust/

much of the readability characteristics of rendered text when a
stylesheet's "first-choice" font is not available, and font-substitution
occurs. Adjustments are based on differences between (a) the ratios of em-
to ex-heights and (b) the weights, of "first-choice" and substituted fonts.
Font-adjust could vastly increase the range of prudent choices for type
specification in stylesheets, advancing "font-independent typography" for
the Web.

I'd particularly like to know from type design experts whether I'm reinventing the wheel the "z" value, described in the linked document.

Todd Fahrner
mailto:fahrner@pobox.com
http://www.verso.com/agitprop/

The printed page transcends space and time. The printed page, the infinitude of books, must be transcended. THE ELECTRO-LIBRARY.
	- El Lissitzky, 1923