Re: Current Downloadable Font Status....

Brad Chase wrote:

> Clive Bruton wrote:
> > TrueDoc may be a font rendering technology (ie it has its own TrueType
> > and Type 1 rasterisers),
> > but PFRs are fonts, they are referenced and used *exactly* as fonts.
>
> TrueDoc does not incorporate TrueType or Type1 rasterizers. It has a
> rasterizer for it's own platform neutral data format. And you are right,
> the PFRs do work like fonts, but only for viewing, and only when
> referenced from a location created by someone with the original font.

I think the confusion lies in Bitstream's marketing of its
platform-independent scalable font system - previously known as
"4-in-1". This system, based on AGFA's UFST, rendered TrueType, Type
1, Intellifont and Speedo.

When Bitstream added the ability to render PFRs too, they confusingly
renamed the whole thing the "TrueDoc printing system". This "TrueDoc"
*does* incorporate TT & T1 rasterizers.

-- Laurence Penney
-- http://www.truetype.demon.co.uk/