Re: PDF (was Re: mailing list)

From: Clive Bruton <Clive@typonaut.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 96 21:53:33 +0000
To: www-font@w3.org
Erik:
>> FontSucker could even be (perish the thought) a browser plugin.

Lee:
>Ha!  Actually I am thinking of starting an ftp site with all of the
>Adobe fonts available that I can find in PDF files.  After all, Adobe
>allows fonts to be embedded, and the reader licence doesn't say you can't
>extract them, I think.

Er, I hope Lee is making a little joke, whatever he has in the way of extracted
PDF fonts still has a copyright notice attached to it.

So while one *might* (though I doubt it) be able to make a legal case for
personally using the extracted fonts, one would certainly be in breach of
copyright in redistributing those fonts.

In effect, just because you can do it, doesn't mean that it is any more legal
than stealing fonts in other ways.

-- Clive